Sunday, February 20, 2011

Cibo, A Classic

Cibo, for me, is a dining staple. I used to eat at their branch in Glorietta with Mom - the one with the cold stainless steel tables and chairs and high bar chairs on the side. I always enjoy eating at Cibo for my comfort food - telefono pasta, spinach dip and occasionally, the grape shake or the mint iced tea. For Mom, it's always been the dish she calls salpicao - much to the confusion of the waiter. We like to simplify the names of the dishes by associating it with words we're familiar with. But in reality, here are their official menu names, with our matching homemade descriptions: 

Penne al Telefono P 315 (Telefono Pasta) 
(Stewed tomato, mozzarella, white cheese, basil, cream)
- Every time I go to Cibo, my usual crossroad is whether to order the genovese pesto pasta or the cheesy telefono pasta. Telefono wins at least 51% of the time - only because of my deep and devoted love for anything cheesy. Love their bread also - I try to save my bread chunks as I always get bitin towards the end, when I still have pasta and no more bread.  
Tagliata Di Manzo Aglio Rosmarino P 415 (Beef strips)  
(Beef tenderloin, roast, sliced, foccacia) 
- My mom loves this dish. It's simple but appealing, the beef sliced thinly and drizzled with flavor and herbs. Garlicky rice can be requested, which is so good with it.   


Today, we are with my younger brother who is always fun to eat with - his enthusiasm and appetite have no bounds. Together, we decide to try a couple new things. Although we were both sorely tempted to order something deceivingly ordinary but still appealing (their potato chips with dip), we decided to stick to more filling dishes.  
 
Fontina Tartufata Asparagi (Cheesy Truffle Dip) P 265 (?) 
(Fontina, bel paese, asparagus mushroom-truffle paste, truffle oil)  
- This is a winner. Eat it fast though, while the cheese is still soft and gooey courtesy of the hot plate. Love the subtle flavor of truffle which is such a distinct taste by itself. It usually comes with what they call Sardinian flat bread, but my brother and I prefer our dips with the crostinis. Much more filling and with an added crunch.   
Minestrone Alla Genovese P 173 (Hearty Veggie Broth)
(Vegetable broth, seasonal garden vegetables, leafy greens, basil pesto)
- My brother's words: hearty. And so it is. I am partial to creamy soups though, so I am biased. 

Caviale Salmone P 365 (Pizza)
(Mozzarella, lumpfish caviar, smoked salmon, cream cheese, chives)
- This one was just okay. I find that the pizza dough is a bit too hard, especially as it cooled. It was like trying to bite off something tough.  
For some reason, I like taking pictures of the table napkin or place mat to remember where I've eaten. Here's the signature orange napkin of Cibo. Cheers! :)